Mac OS 10.x and Windows XP File Share
After hours of searching I was able to setup a Mac with OS 10.x and a Windows XP PC to share files. The two computers where already networked via a router, so what I needed where the steps to take to turn on "file share" on both computers. Here are the steps:
File Sharing on Mac OS 10.2
- System Preferences Sharing Check ON "Windows File Sharing"
- System Preferences Accounts New User
- Enter Name, Password, and Check ON "Allow user to log in from Windows"
- Look on your mac for Users - then the main user
- Use the File Get Info tool to set the Read/Write permissions on the "Public" folder found in the Main User folder.
File Sharing on Mac OS 10.5
- System Preferences - Accounts - Unlock the Lock (lower left)
- Click on "Guest Account - sharing only"
- Check ON "Allow guest to connect to shared folders"
- Click the Lock
- System Preferences - Sharing - Check ON "File Sharing"
- Click Options...
- Check ON "Share files and folders using SMB"
- Check ON appropriate accounts
- Click Done
- Set the read/write permissions
File Sharing on Windows XP
- Start My Network Places Add a network place
- Follow Add Network Place Wizard
- Choose another network location
- Enter the full address of the mac account: \\[ipaddress]\[nameofmacaccount]\Public
- Replace [ipaddress] with the actually IP address of the mac
- Replace [nameofmacaccount] with the actually name of the mac account
- Finish the wizard
- You should see the mac in the pc's network places. Click on it and enter the username\password you setup in the mac preferences.
Map the Mac as a Drive on Windows XP
- My Computer - Tools - Map Network Drive
- Drive: Z:
- Folder: \\[ipaddress]\[nameofmacaccount]\Public
- Click Finish